Canton Hiring Economic Development Assistant
Canton’s Office of Community Economic Development oversees all aspects of economic and community development for the Village and Town of Canton. The Director reports to the Village Board of Trustees, working closely with a joint Village and Town Economic Development Committee and the Economic Development Steering Committee.
The Community Economic Development Assistant works under the direction of the Director, whom s/he assists and supports. The position is 15 to 18 hour/week. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience.
Specific responsibilities of the CED Assistant, as assigned by the Director of Economic Development, include but are not limited to:
- Assist with applications for and administration of grants:
- Gather and coordinate necessary information for applications
- Produce and organize documentation, paperwork, filing information, etc., including documenting hours needed for matches and monitoring sign-in sheets
- Communicate and coordinate with grant partners and recipients
- Gather information to complete status reports and grant compliance
- Gather documentation for reimbursement requests
- Monitor status of projects in Canton’s Community Action Plan (CCAP) and communicate with stakeholders
- Communicate with local business owners; visit business establishments regularly, in coordination with the Director
- Attend meetings to represent the Community Economic Development Office; take minutes as requested; report to Director (and Board and committees as appropriate)
- Attend committee meetings, e.g., Sustainability, Complete Streets, as required
- Schedule and coordinate meetings
- Research policy, program, development, etc., opportunities
- Represent CED Office for community event planning, e.g., STOMP, Remington Festival, Dairy Princess street fair, etc.
- Conduct community surveys
- Assist with correspondence and communications
- Other supporting duties, as assigned
The ideal candidate will be organized and detail oriented, and must be able to work both independently and collaboratively. The position requires strong computer skills, including word processing, data entry and management, and social media fluency; office and administrative experience, including grant administration, are helpful. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Interested applicants may direct a letter of interest, resume, and three references to: CED Assistant Search, Village of Canton, 60 Main Street, Canton NY 13617; firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is March 24, 2017