Reasons to Consider Canton for Your Business
In Canton, there are many paths to success. Our mix of agribusiness, industry, higher education, county government offices, retail and small business makes Canton an ideal location for test marketing, diversifying your customer base, or filling a variety of staffing needs.
Two hometown universities offer a strong, annual labor supply. St. Lawrence University is a highly respected liberal arts institution, while SUNY Canton focuses on specialized disciplines such as engineering technology, healthcare, business, and computing. In addition, St. Lawrence County’s strong workforce development and training programs offer numerous sources of workers and funding to meet a full range of staffing needs.
Canton is ideally located in the center of the Northern New York/Canadian border region. From here, your business can reach customers from the Thousand Islands to the Adirondacks, as well as those in the cities of Ottawa, Watertown, Plattsburgh, Burlington and Syracuse.
Selection of Sites
In Canton, you can locate in a historic home, on a waterfront lot, in a commerce park, near a university, in a modern retail plaza, or along a busy highway. Additionally our downtown offers a creative mix of upper, lower and main floor spots and features renovated facades, our Village Green Park, and ample parking.
Canton offers five sources of support for entrepreneurs:
- SUNY-Canton’s award winning Small Business Development Center can help you create a sound business plan.
- Through the Canton Economic Development Office, you can secure low-interest loan funding, search for the ideal site, develop creative promotions and explore state and local tax-saving incentives.
- St. Lawrence University’s Canton Initiative is an important source of local financing for Canton-based businesses.
- The Canton Chamber of Commerce provides you with a professional network, as well as numerous cooperative marketing opportunities.
- Canton is also home to St. Lawrence County’s Economic Development Office, offering a variety of programs to meet the needs of new and growing companies.
Quality of Life
Canton offers a superb quality of life for its residents. Benefits to the community include:
- Plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities
- First-class university athletic facilities
- Arts, entertainment and cultural activities and facilities
- An attractive downtown with a vibrant main street and varied shopping
- Many restaurants offering formal and informal dining opportunities
- Quality medical facilities including mainstream and alternative healthcare providers
- Excellent public and private schools
- A full range of housing choices
- Comfortable living in a location with a strong sense of community